Friday, April 05, 2013

Roger Ebert 1942 - 2013


This is my happening and it freaks me out.

If you've ever incurred my wrath, then at some point I've probably told you that “You will drink the black sperm of my vengeance.” You can thank Roger Ebert for that one.

At the moment, I have no words. So I’m getting out of the way, and posting just a small selection of my favourite bits of Roger Ebert. See you at the movies.

“The Muse visits during the act of creation, not before. Don't wait for her. Start alone.”

“Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you.”


"When they stop making movies like Infra-Man, a little light will go out of the world."

"Just write, get better, keep writing, keep getting better. It's the only thing you can control." 

"Pearl Harbor is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle." 


"When I write, I fall into the zone many writers, painters, musicians, athletes, and craftsmen of all sorts seem to share: In doing something I enjoy and am expert at, deliberate thoughts fall aside and it is all just there. I think of the next word no more than the composer thinks of the next note."

"Never marry someone who doesn't love the movies you love. Sooner or later, that person will not love you." 

“We are put on this planet only once, and to limit ourselves to the familiar is a crime against our minds.” 

No comments: